Listen to article or read below
HOW DO YOU GET YOUR MESSAGE OUT?
You’ve identified a list of influencers to connect with.
• You may have even made some initial contacts with them.
How are you going to get your message out?
MAKE IT EASY TO SHARE
Making it easy for influencers and others who want to share your content dramatically increases the chance of information spreading through social media and other methods.
This can greatly increase your audience of potential customers and build traffic to your site.
By the end of this lesson, you’ll identify the types of content that people like to share and strategies for getting your information to spread.
• You’ll explore how to create sharable content and make it easy to pass it along.
THIS LESSON’S OBJECTIVES
Over the course of this lesson you’ll:
- List types of content people like to share.
- Brainstorm ways to create this type of content.
- And identify ways to use technology to spread your message.
YOU CAN DO THIS!
Each lesson includes the three styles for adult learners with:
• An Audio File
• A Written Transcript
• And a Practice Guide that gives you “hands-on” training customized to your own business.
GO WHERE PEOPLE ARE
The first rule of “sharable” content is to connect where the people already are.
What type of information do people like to share on the internet?
This goes back to the primary purposes for which people use the internet.
Remember from a previous lesson, the four main ways the internet is used are:
- Communicate with others
- Get information
- Transact personal and professional business
- And find entertainment
MAKE CONTENT VALUABLE
Sharable content taps into these purposes and recognizes that people don’t want a sales-pitch.
Explore content that:
- Starts a conversation
- Shows that you care
- And recognizes things that are important to your audience
Ask yourself: “What would make content valuable enough to pass along to a friend?”
Chances are it will strike an emotional chord with the reader.
EXAMPLE: SHARABLE CONTENT
Consider “sharable” content examples like these:
- An announcement of community work showing your company and lots of pictures of volunteers-who will want to share the photos with their friends and family.
- A white paper explaining something in the news that people want to find out more about-such as new research about healthy living, or changes in medical benefits–which influencers can pass along to their audience.
- A contest that shows teens using your new product in exchange for a chance to win an I-pad.
Think of ways you can connect with people about the things they care about…especially the ones they are inclined to share.
MAKE IT EASY FOR THEM
The second rule of sharable content is that you have to do the work and make it easy for others.
Put yourself in the shoes of an influencer.
- You’ve been approached by someone who wants you to promote their products or services.
- You like their approach, and what they do.
- They seem like a good fit with your audience.
But then, they say that you have to do all the work to promote them!
Are you as inclined to help?
IMPROVE THE ODDS?
Every amount of effort it takes to share your message…that you put on someone else, like an influencer, reader, or client… reduces your chance of success.
Make it easy to share and understand:
- Do you have a quick, clear headline on the content?
- Have you included a strong visual element?
- It is funny, entertaining, or informative?
- Is it short, simple, and easy to read-even on a mobile device?
Here are some examples:
EXAMPLE: CREATE A PORTFOLIO
Create a portfolio of content to send to influencers.
Send your information in a format viewable on mobile devices such as .pdf documents, YouTube videos, and .mp3 audio content.
Put links in your email so that content can be found and shared.
And don’t forget this simple but effective strategy to ASK people to share with a simple:
“If you enjoyed this, please pass it along.”
MAKE TECHNOLOGY YOUR FRIEND
Finally, how are you using technology to spread your content?
- Do you include links in your content to make sharing easy?
- Do your website pages include easy-to-find buttons to pass along the content on major social media outlets such as Facebook, Linked in, Google+ and Twitter?
- Can the reader click on a button to email it to a friend?
- Do you provide a way for people to embed the content in their site?
All of these tools make it simpler to share, and more likely it will take place.
MANAGE SOCIAL MEDIA
You can also make use of social media management tools such as HootSuite.com.
- This site makes it easy to push your content out to a variety of media outlets with just the touch of a button.
All of these strategies add to the share-ability of your content and make it easy for influencers and others to spread your message.
TIME TO GET REAL!
Ready to apply this to your business?
Go to the Practice Guide and brainstorm the types of sharable content that have the potential to go “viral.”
Create a list of steps you’ll take to make it easy for others to share your story.
- Tap into the main ways that people use the internet by:
- Reaching out and communicating with others
- Providing information
- Making it simpler to transact personal and professional business
- And by being entertaining
Now that you’ve identified strategies for content that influencers and others want to share, let’s go deeper look at incentivizing people for spreading the word about your products or services that answer the question; “Why Share?”