Listen to article or read below
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DO?
You’ve worked hard to write lots of quality, “sharable” content for your website.
• Wondering what else you can do to build online traffic?
Not sure what is real vs. another scam?
GET THE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE
Link-building is important because it is part of the way that search engines determine whether your site is “worth” moving up in the site rankings.
• It also reflects a “vote of confidence” in what you have to offer from other people and websites; which is an important part of online trust-building.
In this lesson, you’ll discover what link-building is all about.
You’ll learn how to make it easy for people to link to you and to create the most effective links possible.
• You’ll recognize what a quality in-bound link looks and set up valuable links within your site and for others to share.
THIS LESSON’S OBJECTIVES
Over the course of this lesson you’ll:
- Learn the characteristics that make a good in-bound or “back-link”
- List techniques for providing high quality relevant links inside your site and for others linking to your website.
- And avoid link-building schemes.
YOU CAN DO THIS!
Each lesson includes the three styles for adult learners with:
• An Audio File
• A Written Transcript
• And a Practice Guide that gives you “hands-on” training customized to your own business.
2 TYPES OF LINKS
First of all, let’s start with some terminology.
There are two main types of links:
- One way
- And reciprocal
As the name implies one-way links just go from a site to another site.
When they come inbound to your site, they are sometimes called “back-links.”
- Reciprocal links go both directions.
In other words, when you put a link to someone else’s site on your website and they do the same back to you, this exchange is called a reciprocal link.
Which type do you think Google likes more?
ONE-WAY ARE MORE TRUSTED
If you guessed one-way links, you’d be right.
Search engines view reciprocal links as too likely to be manipulated…because they often are.
- Link exchanges between sites that aren’t relevant to each other do little to improve your ranking.
Think quality and relevance for the human searchers over quantity for the search engines.
WHO CONNECTS WITH YOU?
Open your mind to who you can link with that makes sense.
- Do you have customers, vendors, or friends who would review or comment on their websites about your company?
- How about hosting an event at your business for a related professional association or group?
Ask them to link to your site for directions or more information.
Start thinking about places you can get relevant, quality links inbound to your website.
WHAT’S A GOOD LINK?
What does a good link look like?
- The best link text starts with a primary keyword or phrase.
- It consistently includes the “www” portion of your URL.
Here’s an example:
EXAMPLE: LINK TO CUPCAKE BAKERY
An influencer has agreed to link to my site in her blog.
- Rather than “hoping” they’ll get the information correct, I send them the following information in my “thanks for linking to me” email:
“Thanks for linking to me. Please use this link text in your post: www.LovelandCupcakeBakery.com
The Best Cupcakes in Loveland CO”
- I would highlight this text and put a hyper-link to my website at: http:/www.LovelandCupcakeBakery.com
Notice how I included both the name of my website and some keywords such as “best cupcakes” and “cupcake bakery”
DON’T FORGET INTERNAL LINKS
Search engines and people also like well-constructed internal links within your site.
Google’s Webmaster’s Guide says that every page should be accessible from at least 1 static text link.
- What does that look like?
Here’s an example:
EXAMPLE: CAKE RECIPES
I write a blog post about the best cupcake recipes.
- In that, I mention gluten-free recipes.
In that text, I would create a hyper-link from the “gluten-free” text to a post I wrote previously called: “3 reasons why gluten-free cakes rock!”
This technique is often used when a webpage says to “contact us” with a link back to the “contact us” form page.
WATCH OUT FOR BLACK HATS
Finally, watch out for companies with link-building schemes.
These “black hat” SEO scams of purchased link exchanges, or even worse “link-farms” that search engines view as link-spam will get you in trouble with search engines.
TIME TO GET REAL!
Go to your Practice Guides and brainstorm how you can connect with influencers who would be willing to link to your site.
- Prepare a some standard links that you can incorporate into your blog, email and other sites of opportunity that make it easy for people to include an optimized link to your site.
Review your web pages and make sure that you are adding internal links that improve the navigation experience for both human visitors and search engines.
MAKE IT EASY TO CONNECT
Whether you are in the online or offline world, connecting with influencers is an important component of success.
- So get out there and make it easy for people to build those relationships.
Use these techniques to maximize the results when they do.
Thanks for sticking with it!
- In this module you added to a solid foundation for building traffic to your website by connecting with influencers and increasing your circle of influence.
- In the next module we will sum up our traffic-building lessons by exploring ways to measure the effect of these techniques and make adjustments through the use of Google Analytics, another of the free, but amazingly powerful tools offered by Google.
Join us next for Module 8: Measure and Adjust.