Listen to article or read below
HOW TO GET KNOWN?
You need lots of corporate identity materials.
• You may need letterhead.
• You may need envelopes
• You may need posters and coffee mugs…
And (of course) you need lots of lots of business cards.
How do you get them affordably?
MAKE A STRONG FIRST IMPRESSION
Creating a professional look for your business is important because potential customers will often judge whether or not they want to do business with you…based on the first impression you make with your corporate identity materials.
In this lesson, you’ll look at ways to get professional looking materials at a reasonable cost.
BE CONSISTENT WITH YOUR BRAND
You’ll review a variety of business cards and corporate identity packages and select one that is consistent with your branding.
THIS LESSON’S OBJECTIVES
Over the course of this lesson you’ll build on previous lessons about creating your business identity to select supporting materials that:
- Include a brandable experience concept
- Uses your domain name and tagline
- Benefit from a compatible color palette and font selection for your brand
- And may even include a logo image you created
YOU CAN DO THIS!
Each lesson includes the three styles for adult learners with:
• An Audio File
• A Written Transcript
• And a Practice Guide that gives you “hands-on” training customized to your own business.
THE INTERNET MAKES IT EASY!
It used to be much harder and more expensive to develop your business identity.
- Fortunately, the internet has opened up professional-looking templates and corporate identity materials to all of us.
It is now very easy to get products which are professionally designed, affordable and shipped to you fast.
FIND WHAT YOU LIKE
The internet has also made it easy to do a lot of research about what styles, colors, and fonts appeal to you and support your branding.
- Become a student of what other people are doing and create copies of what you like or don’t like.
As your business grows and you need to communicate with professional designers, having examples of what you are looking for will improve your communication with them as well.
We are going to run through an example of using an online printing house to select a professionally designed business card and corporate identity package using OfficeMax.com.
• There are many online printing companies, such as VistaPrint.com and all of the national office supply companies.
• There are also great local printing solutions.
Use this exercise for illustrative purposes of what is out there.
• But choose a printer that you feel offers the best value for your business.
GO TO BUSINESS AND PRINT SERVICES
Okay, let’s get started.
- Go to “Officemax.com”
- Click on “Business and Print Services“
- Go to the bottom of that page and find the “Other Services” heading.
- Click on the “OfficeMax ImPress Print Center” link.
LOOK AT THE BUSINESS CARD SELECTIONS
- Start by clicking on the “business card” link.
Here you can pick from full color business cards or value business cards, with thousands of pre-designed templates for you to choose from.
Once you pick the type of card, you can search on horizontal or vertical business cards with a wide variety of colors and styles.
- Look for styles that support the colors and fonts you chose in the previous lesson.
For example, I can search on “purple” and come up with several designs that are purple and fit into my color scheme for my brand.
WHAT COLORS AND FONTS DO YOU LIKE?
Looking through the available selections is also a great way to get an idea of colors and font styles that are used by professional designers.
- If you had any trouble in the previous lesson deciding on your fonts and colors, start looking for a business card that you like.
Once you have that, you can pick colors and fonts that go with that card.
- Use this technique if you are stuck at this part of your branding decision-making process.
LOOK FOR MORE THAN BUSINESS CARDS
- Make a note of the name of the business card style that you like.
With that you can go back and look for other corporate identity materials such as letterhead, envelopes, posters, and banners that have that same style.
IF YOU’RE READY, MOVE FORWARD
If you are ready, follow the process on the screen to select, edit and purchase your business cards and any related corporate identity materials you need.
TIME TO MAKE IT REAL!
You’ve walked through an example of using an online printing house that makes it easy to get a coordinated, professional corporate identity package that meets your needs affordably.
You’ve selected your business identity toolkit with supporting materials that:
• Includes a brandable experience concept
• Uses your domain name and tagline
• And benefits from a compatible color palette and font selection for your brand
As your business grows you have the framework in place to add other related materials as the need arises.
Thanks for sticking with it!
You’ve had a busy month!
• You’ve walked through developing a unique selling proposition
• Described your perfect customer
• Determined what benefits and solutions you offer your customers
• And created a business identity toolkit.
You’ve created the foundation of a great branding package that clearly communicates what your company offers to potential customers.
Next month, we’ll move on to techniques for building traffic to your website so more people can know how to find you and what you offer.