Listen to article or read below
IS EMAIL MARKETING JUST ANOTHER FAD?
Do you feel inundated with all these different internet marketing strategies?
• As if Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest weren’t enough…there’s some other new one popping up every week.
Think email marketing is just one more distraction?
• Worried that sending email to your audience will turn you into a “spamming” monster?
EMAIL MARKETING OUTPERFORMS
Using email marketing to reach people on a personal level—in their inboxes…is important because email marketing out performs any other conversion technique by a mile.
Despite the emphasis on the various new forms of social media, they aren’t even close for sales generation results.
In this lesson, you’ll walk through the benefits of using email marketing to reach potential customers.
• You’ll discover ways of using this method to keep your audience connected to what you have to say and offer.
THIS LESSON’S OBJECTIVES
Over the course of this lesson you’ll:
- Look at what email marketing includes
- And discover benefits and results you can receive through the use of this internet marketing strategy
YOU CAN DO THIS!
Each lesson includes the three styles for adult learners with:
• An Audio File
• A Written Transcript
• And a Practice Guide that gives you “hands-on” training customized to your own business.
MISS EMAIL, MISS SALES
- According to “The Social Profile” study completed in 2010, 43 times as many people interact with brands via email compared to Twitter, and over 70 times as many as Facebook.
- An “Econsultancy” study reported that nearly 70% of consumers age 18-26 used emailed coupons when they purchased.
If you miss an email marketing strategy, you are missing out on sales.
- It’s that plain.
And yes, it’s that important.
WHAT IS EMAIL MARKETING?
What exactly is email marketing?
Simply put, email marketing is a direct marketing strategy that uses electronic mail to build stronger relationships with customers and keeps prospects engaged in what you have to offer.
Here are some examples:
CONNECT MORE FREQUENTLY
- Do you want to let people know about upcoming events?
- How about giving special discounts to a group of preferred customers?
- Are you ready to make a limited time offer to a segment of prospects?
- Or perhaps you just want to make sure that every customer receives a follow-up survey asking about their recent shopping experience.
All of these things can be accomplished with the use of email marketing.
MAKE LIFE EASIER
One of the great benefits of today’s email marketing companies is that they make your life easier.
- You set up an account, create a few simple templates and you are ready to go.
Want to send multiple messages to your list?
- You just replicate the template, edit it, and off you go again.
It’s a breeze to stay in touch with your audience.
DON’T GET CRAZY
OK, time for a little public service announcement.
- Yes, it’s simple to send.
- But common sense still needs to be used.
If you email too much, people will not read your emails or even worse…they will unsubscribe.
NARROW MARGIN FOR ERROR
It’s a fine line.
A 2013 Acxiom survey on “Consumer Habits and Perceptions” reported that 52% of people believe they receive about the right amount of promotional email, while 43% reported they receive too much.
- That gives you just 9% of “wiggle room” between “desirable” and “spammy”
Not a wide margin for error.
- Most marketers report sending 2-3 promotional emails a month, beating out 4-6 a month by a 2-to-1 margin.
In other words, about one a week is OK, much more than that will probably be counter-productive.
4 CRITERIA TO SELECTION
Sold on the use of email marketing?
Which one do you pick?
- There are lots of options.
Look for ones that meet these four main criteria for small businesses:
• Ease of use
• Deliverability percentage-the higher the better
• And easy integration with other applications such as WordPress, and other web tools
WHO DO WE RECOMMEND?
The two that are commonly selected by professional marketers are Awebber.com and MailChimp.com
Mail Chimp is our current favorite.
• It’s very easy to use.
• They are adding new features all the time.
• And they are very affordable.
Aweber is a little more complicated.
• Reportedly Aweber has a higher delivery rate
• But in actual use, we’ve found MailChimp to be pretty good
TIME TO GET REAL!
Now it’s your turn.
This lesson’s Practice Guide helps you consider ways you can use email marketing to keep your audience engaged and cost-effectively get your message out.
Once you’ve taken a look at some ideas to use email marketing, let’s dig deeper with our next lesson: “How to Use an Email Campaign-Making Communication Easy”