Listen to article or read below
SPINNING YOUR WHEELS?
Are you not getting anywhere with engaging the influencers you reached out to?
• Does it seem like you are “spinning your wheels?”
How can you find influencers who want to help you get your message out?
ARE YOU A GIVER?
The truth is we are more inclined to help someone when we receive something in return.
It is important to understand that creating incentives will increase the odds that an influencer will share information about your products or services.
In this lesson, you’ll discover 3 methods to incentivize influencers and others to share your message so that you can increase interest in your products or services and build traffic to your website.
- You’ll adapt these concepts to encourage influencers to connect with your company.
THIS LESSON’S OBJECTIVES
Over the course of this lesson you’ll:
- Identify some win-win incentives that speak to helping others and making a difference in the world.
- Review the importance of establishing a referral program to connect with satisfied customers and harness the power of their connections.
- And discover ways to expand your reach with affiliate programs.
YOU CAN DO THIS!
Each lesson includes the three styles for adult learners with:
• An Audio File
• A Written Transcript
• And a Practice Guide that gives you “hands-on” training customized to your own business.
INCENTIVE #1: SUPPORT WHAT THEY CARE ABOUT
The first incentive we’ll cover is a favorite for connecting with influencers who-for a variety of reasons-do not want to be paid for recommending you to their audience.
This win-win method taps into something the influencer cares about with support of that program.
- Are you connecting with an influencer who supports the local animal shelter?
- How about one that has a foundation, or supports an international charity?
Support something they care about by making a donation for each click through to your site, or each purchase made.
CONNECT WITH WHAT’S IMPORTANT
This type of inducement is fairly common with celebrity-status endorsements.
- Would you donate $100 to Habitat for Humanity with each sale?
- How about 10% of your profits to expand cancer research?
By supporting what influencers care about, you connect with what is important to them.
You also relate to what is important to their audience: The ones that are your potential customers
INCENTIVE #2: TAP INTO SATISFIED CUSTOMERS
Next, many small business miss the importance of having an established referral program.
- This is like leaving money on the table.
Your best influencers are often satisfied customers who will share their great experience with their friends and family.
DO YOU ASK FOR REFERRALS?
Why don’t you get more referrals from your existing customers?
Here are a few reasons:
1) They don’t know you want referrals
2) You don’t ask
3) You haven’t provided a way to make it “worth their while”
Here are some examples to overcome these problems:
GET THE WORD OUT
First, include a simple message at the bottom of all your communications and marketing materials.
“We love referrals. If you had a great experience, please tell your friends and neighbors.”
Next, ask for referrals from time to time. How about something like:
“We are looking for 3 more satisfied customers this month.
Do you know someone else who could benefit from our products or services? Please contact us at…”
SAY THANK YOU
Finally, provide incentives for referrals to thank influencers for their help.
Think of ways that you can help them succeed.
- Perhaps their team needs a sponsor
- Maybe your reward program offers a discount or extra bonus for every customer they refer.
- Where possible, find a way to reward both the new customer and the referring customers.
Help the goodwill to spread.
Influencers, just like the rest of us, perceive value when it’s simple to understand “what’s in it for me?”
INCENTIVE #3: GROW YOUR AFFILIATE NETWORK
Finally, an affiliate program is simply an online type of referral program.
It rewards an influencer when a person goes from their site to your site and takes some action.
- Ideally, the visitor will become a customer.
As of now, 80% of affiliate programs pay when the visitor completes a purchase, as opposed to just clicking through to the site.
GET HELP TO MANAGE IT
How do you manage running an affiliate program?
Probably the most well-known affiliate program is managed through Amazon.
- Google on “Amazon affiliate program” to learn more.
Another popular affiliate management program is ClickBank.com
Both of these tools make it simpler to manage an affiliate program.
KEYS TO A GREAT AFFILIATE PROGRAM
What makes a successful affiliate program?
Like other types of referrals the quality of the relationships matter.
- If you connect with the right audience, an affiliate program can add significantly to your bottom line.
But if the influencer is not highly trusted, your company may be painted with the same broad brush.
- Finally, make sure that you treat your affiliates well, and pay for results as promised.
Just like disgruntled customers, the ones with a bad experience will be vocal about it –destroying the connections that you want to cultivate.
TIME TO GET REAL!
Now it’s your turn.
Go to your Practice Guide and Identify what might motivate your influencers to learn more about your products or services and recommend them.
- Create a list of possible incentives for influencers to share with them.
- Ask what you can do to help them be successful as well.
Now that you’ve created a list of incentives, we’ll continue looking at tapping into the authority of influencers and larger audiences with Lesson 5: “Link-building.”